We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

What To Do After A Flood

If you rent your home

Your landlord is responsible for repairs to your home if you’ve got flood damage.

Get advice from:

Contact your insurance company

Contact your insurance company to start your claim - they’ll tell you what to do next.

Get advice from the Association of British Insurers about:

If you do not have insurance

You’ll need to pay for any temporary housing and repairs yourself. Contact EHDC  / HCC and charities to find out if there are any grants or other support available.


Clearing up and making repairs after a flood

Before you start clearing up:

  • take photos of any damage and the flood water line
  • speak to your insurance company about what you can move and throw away

Read about how to clear up safely after a flood.

Throw things away

You can put most things in the bin as long as they’re not polluted by sewage or chemicals. Contact your local council if you need skips or extra rubbish collections.

If you have used sandbags, check with your local council about how to dispose of them.

Getting rid of contaminated items

Contact the environmental health department at your local council to get rid of things polluted by chemicals or sewage. The council will tell you how to dispose of them as hazardous waste.


Food and water safety

After a flood, you can stay healthy by:

  • not using tap water if you notice a change in the colour, taste or smell - contact your water company if this happens
  • not eating food that’s touched flood water
  • throwing away food from a fridge if the electricity has been off for more than 4 hours
  • throwing away food from a freezer if the electricity has been off for more than 24 hours

Read more about food safety after a flood from the Food Standards Agency.


Get help and support

If you need information and advice, contact Floodline.

Telephone: 0345 988 1188
Textphone: 0345 602 6340
24-hour service
Find out about call charges


Mental health and wellbeing

If you need support with your mental health:


Financial support

You may be able to get financial support from your local council after a flood. Contact your local council to find out if support is available.


Prepare for future floods

Find out: